In literature, Camelot and its court are associated with the
legend of King Arthur. Camelot first appeared in 12th century French romances and eventually came to be described as the capital of Arthur’s realm and a symbol of the Arthurian code. The castle is mentioned for the first time in Chretien de Troyes’ poem Lancelot, the Knight of the Cart, dated 1170. Though scholars still argue the source of the name Camelot, common theorists agree that it may be of Welsh, Romano-British or Breton origin.